- Jean provides keynotes at national and local conferences, on a range of topics from the Pupil Premium to communication and language, parental engagement, resilience, social and emotional learning, and special educatioal needs.
- She is one of Oxford University Press' 'experts'; she speaks at their events around the country and has written publications and made films on parental engagement and the Pupil Premium for them.
- She is an adviser to government on its social mobility strategy
- She is an Associate of the Early Intervention Foundation and works with them on early language and on social and emotional learning
- She is a Trustee of the children's communication charity ICAN and chairied 'Bercow Ten Years On', an independent review of services for children with speech, language and communication needs.
Jean has put her heart, soul and long experience of working with disadvantaged children into her new book. : Reaching the unseen children - practical strategies for closing stubborn attainment gaps in disadvantaged groups. It focuses particularly on white boys from low income backgrounds. It is available to preorder now at https://www.routledge.com/Reaching-the-Unseen-Children-Practical-Strategies-for-Closing-Stubborn/Gross/p/book/9781032009322
‘An extraordinary book. It makes those ‘Unseen Children’ visible to us all with incisive arguments, an array of evidence, along with compelling personal stories. It offers anyone with an interest in education a comprehensive account of the challenges faced by so many children in our education system. And yet, it manages to remain hopeful and practical. It is both a call to arms and a helping hand to everyone in education who wants to address the disadvantage gap and make ‘Unseen Children’ seen, heard and supported to thrive.'
Alex Quigley, the Education Endowment Foundation and author of ‘Closing the Reading Gap’